INTERNAL – administrative assistant (closing 3 October 2011)
Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:35 PM PDT
Vacancy Number: AA/CAST/09/11
Department: Partnerships and Communications Theme
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 2-year term with possibility of renewal
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. ILRI is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ILRI has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, and Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam) and East Asia (China).
ILRI seeks to recruit an Administrative Assistant to work in Partnerships and Communications Theme within the Capacity Strengthening unit.
Overall purpose of the job
- To handle ILRI students related activities;
- Monitoring and Evaluation of training and training related activities;
- To assist in the preparation of CaSt publications, training & learning materials and other outputs;
- To assist CaSt unit’s data management;
- To assist in the day to day activity of the CaSt Unit;
- To assist in all other administrative work (travel arrangements etc).
1. To handle students fellowship activities
- Preparing and distributing contracts;
- Managing database;
- Working with other ILRI themes for administration of students;
- Assist in alumni network activities;
- Organizing students’ seminars.
2. Monitoring and Evaluation of training and training related activities
- Assists in the organization, coordination and implementation of trainings (group trainings, special workshops, etc.)
- Assist in the preparation of certificates for participants;
- Keeps records of participants for future communication;
- Taking minutes and compiling reports for workshops;
- Evaluate training activities and use the outcomes to work towards the development and implementation of ILRI strategy on Capacity Strengthening.
3. Assist in the management of a training database for Capacity Strengthening Unit and training related activities within ILRI. These include:
- Attachment Associates;
- Student Associates;
- Research Fellows;
- Graduate Fellows (Individual Training);
- Group Trainings organized by CaSt and other Units.
4. Assisting in the day to day functioning of the Cast Unit
- Liaising with all ILRI administrative units, research themes, projects and support units as required to deal with CaSt administrative matters;
- Assist visitors on general administrative matters, provide advice and ensure administrative support as required;
- Maintaining and updating a proper filing system for the Unit documents;
- Receiving, screening, logging, routing and attending phone calls;
- Drafting routine correspondence;
- Assisting in organizing meetings, handling logistical support, taking minutes and compiling reports of meetings;
- Organizing travel arrangements and preparing travel expense reports;
- Maintaining attendance sheets for the unit’s regular and temporary staff;
- Perform other duties related to CaSt activities that may be assigned by the Capacity Strengthening Unit Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
- Diploma in Business Administration or related discipline is required. A Bachelors degree in similar disciplines is an added advantage;
- Minimum 3 years administrative support and office management experience in a busy international or private sector organization or multi-cultural environment;
- Demonstrable experience in organizing meetings, conferences and workshops;
- Good teamwork, interpersonal, communication and multi-cultural skills;
- Well-developed computer skills in Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Good personal organization skills, accuracy and attention to detail required;
- Highly effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize, and organize workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure;
- Capacity to take initiative, demonstrate good judgment, and work under minimal supervision;
- Good written and communication skills.
Job level and salary: This position is job level 1C and starting salary is KES 55,833 per month. This is exclusive of other benefits provided by ILRI.
Applications addressed to the Human Resources Director, a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience should be emailed to: recruit-ilri-Ken@cgiar.org by 3 October 2011.
The position title and reference number “ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT: AA/CAST/09/11” should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
This advertisement is for internal candidates only.
To find more about ILRI, visit our Website at www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer
Feedback job publisher: Dreamjobs Kenya | job publish date : 07:14
Administration Jobs in Kenya | Kenya Jobs | Management Jobs in Kenya | NGO Jobs