Assistant PROGRAMME OFFICER - Legal
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT: LEGAL AID PROGRAMME
LOCATION: Dadaab refugees camp
Post holder reports to: Program Manager Dadaab
Staff reporting to this post: None
RCK PURPOSE: To improve the welfare of refugees by protection and promotion of the refugees’ rights in Kenya and East Africa through advocacy at National, regional and international levels, providing legal and other referral services.
JOB PURPOSE: To provide legal advice and procedural support to the organization on issues relating to and affecting displaced persons as well as administrative legal matters in an effective and efficient manner.
- Attend to clients and asses cases.
- Seek access to clients in detention, ascertaining the conditions under which such clients are being detained, and provide them with appropriate legal and other assistance in accordance with RCK policy.
- As requested by the Programme Manager, conduct investigations, participate in boards of inquiry and advising on appropriate action to be taken.
- Provide legal advice and information. Prepare legal briefs and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments.
- Provide legal representation of refugees especially unaccompanied and separated minors, GBV survivors in court and in police stations.
- Prepare responses to enquiries on legal issues of a refugee law /international law from RCK staff, governments, inter-governmental organizations, institutions, and the public.
- Participate in capacity building of RCK’s stakeholders in relation to domestic and international refugee law
- Develop and maintain a database of and relations with internal /external referral partners.
- Update and manage the client databases.
- Prepare monthly reports and donor related reports within schedule.
- Support the development of proposal for fundraising for program work.
- Represent the organization in legal forum and disseminate information to other RCK programmes.
- Coordinate and carry out program budgetary and administrative tasks.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate
- At least one year experience in civil and criminal litigation and two years experience with an NGO.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan Legal system and of regional & international instruments on refugees and human rights.
The Job is complex, sensitive and stressful. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel. Work may require frequent weekend and evening work as well as high degree of autonomy.
- Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in relevant fields of refugee law, Strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues.
- Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of French is desired.
- Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
- Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Managing Performance: Ability to supervise, coach, mentor and develop junior staff as required
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact, to be received by 5.00pm, 12th October 2011. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
RCK is an equal opportunity employer.
The Recruitment Committee
Refugee Consortium of Kenya
P.O Box 25340- 00603