The Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi represents Sweden in Kenya, Somalia, Seychelles and Comoros. The Embassy also represents Sweden in UNEP and UN-HABITAT.The Embassy represents and advances Swedish policies, interests and values in political and economic relations, development cooperation, in trade and investment promotion and in cultural and information matters. It also provides regional support to sub-Saharan Africa. It provides consular services to Swedish nationals and migration services to non-nationals.
There is 66 staff working in the Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi, which makes it the largest Swedish Embassy in the world.
The Embassy of Sweden seeks to recruit a National Programme Officer (NPO) to manage development cooperation programmes funded by Sweden in the areas of agriculture and rural development. This is a full time position based in Nairobi.
• Plan, manage and follow up on programmes funded by Sweden in the areas mentioned above;
• Assess funding applications and prepare decisions on support, taking responsibility for financial management, procurement and general quality assurance of programmes;
• Assess and give feedback to Embassy as well as to Sida, the prevailing situation in the sector from time to time;
• Cooperate with regional section on Swedish support to drought and resilience in the Horn of Africa
• Engage in active cooperation and dialogue with partner institutions and organisations with a view to promoting policy dialogue, alignment and harmonisation;
• Ensure immediate action in the event of suspected incidents of corruption or mismanagement;
• Contribute to embassy as well as Kenya section’s overall work, including development of methods, quality assurance and other areas assigned.
Hold at least a Master’s degree in natural resources management preferably with a focusinagriculture.
· have at least 5years’ experience in fields related to agriculture development in Kenya;
· have broad knowledge and experience of agriculture sector policies, laws and regulations in the agriculture sector in Kenya;
· have experience from working in international development cooperation, other governments or international development partners;
· have experience from managing development programmes and in policy development and a proven ability in capacity development, institution building and process-oriented development work;
· have proven experience in agriculture extension;
· have proven experience on business development in agriculture
· are conversant with multidimensional approaches to poverty reduction, food security as well as good governance, as preconditions for development;
· have higher than average advocacy, and advisory talents and proven ability to work effectively with representatives of different groups in society, such as communities, the private and civil society sectors, and representatives of government and international organisations;
· have experience in strategic communication in development cooperation processes;
· have proven experience on donor coordination, harmonisation and sector-wide approaches (SWAp); documented competence and experience within the area of quality assurance, procurement, financial management, /analysis and audits; experience working with computer based project monitoring systems; and experience in the following areas:
o results based management
o gender equality
o risk management
• Ability to adjust to changing priorities and undertake multiple tasks simultaneously
• Respect for cultural diversity, with the ability to fit into a diverse team and to establish networks
• Excellent organization skills, strong oral and written communication skills with good command of English
• Self driven with ability to work unsupervised
Indicative start date for the position is November, 2012.
The salary is in accordance with the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs´ salary system for locally engaged employees.
Applications should include a detailed CV with educational qualifications, a summary of professional experience and a minimum of 3 professional references.
For enquiries about the job, send an email to
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Feedback job publisher: Dreamjobs Kenya | job publish date : 15:31